World Down Syndrome Day at UN Geneva
Monday 20 March 2023, 2 - 6:30 p.m. CET
Bar Serpent & Room XXV, 1st Floor, E Building, Palais des Nations
This day is co-organized by UNOG and Division of Conference Management.
On the day of event: Collection of badge and entrance by Pregny Gate / Collection de badges et entrée par Portail Pregny : here / ici
2:00-2:45 p.m. - Dance performance, Bar Serpent, Palais des Nations
(with guest performance by Theatre de l'Esquisse)
3:00-4:00 p.m. - World Down Syndrome Assembly, Room XXV
(Organized by Down Syndrome International in partnership with DCM)
Hear the views of self-advocates with Down Syndrome from around the world about the right to easy-to-understand communication.
The aims of the Assembly are:
- To celebrate World Down Syndrome Day (21 March);
- To hear the views of self-advocates with Down syndrome from around the world;
- To create a statement about the right to easy-to-understand communication.
4:00 – 4:30 p.m. Coffee/light refreshments break
4:30-6:30 p.m. Short Film Screening “Trio” and Panel discussion, Room XXV
(Organized by UN Geneva Cultural Activity in collaboration with the Permanent Mission of Mongolia and OHCHR)
Tuesday 21 March, 1:45 - 2:45 p.m. CET
Side event to the UN CRPD, Room XVII, Palais des Nations
This event is a side event to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
The event will be attended by members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, government officials, and other important people and organisations.
The main speakers will be self-advocates with Down syndrome and intellectual disabilities.
The aims of the side event are to:
- Provide a chance for self-advocates to engage with the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and Missions to the United Nations;
- Raise awareness of the easy-to-understand communications resolution that was passed by the United Nations General Assembly in December 2022 (read the Draft Resolution);
- Share good examples of easy-to-understand communication from around the world.